Community & Sustainability
Wesfarmers Industrial and Safety (WIS), as a division of Wesfarmers Limited, is responsible for setting its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander strategy, and WIS’ policy operates in line with the Wesfarmers reconciliation objective, being:
“To ensure that our businesses are places where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people feel welcome and valued, as employees and team members, customers, suppliers of products and services, and citizens”.
WIS encourages the diversity of its supply base, and actively seeks to identify opportunities for suitable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned and certified businesses to develop partnerships within its supply chain.
WIS engages both customers and potential Indigenous suppliers to bring competitiveness, innovation and value to its supply chain, including consulting the Supply Nation Supplier List for potential partners.
WIS monitors its progress on its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander strategy and reports in the annually published Sustainability Report.
Our Sustainability Approach
As a diversified company we know there is often no 'one size fits all' approach or solution to the challenges of sustainability. That's why we encourage our managers and employees to bring their own diverse experiences and expertise to the table and to think innovatively about how to meet these challenges so they are connected to the most appropriate solution.
Making a difference together
At the same time sustainability is not just about companies minimising the potential negative impacts of their operations. It also means a commitment to increasing their positive footprint in the community and environment. After all, a sustainable business sector and economy ultimately depends on a healthy community and environment.
Wesfarmers Sustainability Report
Each year, Wesfarmers releases its sustainability report outlining how we as a company think about and manage our interaction with the environment and the community, and benchmark our performance. Within this report you will find detailed information about Blackwoods' sustainability performance. The full report is available on the Wesfarmers website at www.wesfarmers.com.au
Our Health, Safety & Environment Policy
Blackwoods is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and healthy working environment for all employees, contractors, suppliers, visitors and the general public. Our aim and objective is to achieve zero accidents, injuries and occupational illnesses and to conform to all the requirements outlined within Blackwoods' HSE Plans, known as GetSAFE.
Not only do we have a legal and moral obligation to this objective, but also effective systems for health and safety can help us to improve our business efficiency and profitability. To support this objective, Blackwoods is committed to:
- Effectively implementing the Blackwoods OHS Policy.
- Consultation with employees, contractors, suppliers and visitors on health and safety issues.
- Compliance with relevant OHS Legislation, Regulation and Blackwoods' Corporate Standards.
- Provision of adequate resources and training for those who manage OHS.
- The implementation of HSE Plans at all levels of the business.
- Providing suitable injury management opportunities.
- Providing an effective OHS risk management process that is consistent with our workplace activities to identify, assess and control risks.
- Consider the health and safety impacts of our business decisions including purchasing and equipment design.
- Providing and maintaining equipment and systems of work for our employees, contractors, suppliers and visitors to the workplace.
- Training employees and contractors, in addition to providing instruction, supervision and ready access to information to all - including visitors - to enable safe work practices that minimise the risk to health.
- The dissemination of OHS information to all stakeholders.
- Continuously improve our OHS performance by setting and measuring objectives and targets.
Through implementation and ongoing improvement of the GetSAFE Management System we will:
- Develop a consistent approach to OHS management across all operations.
- Adopt Blackwoods' OHS policies, procedures and processes.
- Share health and safety information and improvement ideas throughout the business and with our customers.
- Enable the OHS policy to be freely available to all interested parties.
Our Environmental Policy
Blackwoods is committed to ensuring its operations do not adversely affect the environment. To support this objective, Blackwoods is committed to:
- Ensuring consultation on environmental matters occurs with employees, local communities and Government authorities;
- Complying with legislation, regulations and community standards.
- Implementing processes to ensure the efficient use of energy and resources as well as best practice in waste minimisation and recycling.
- Informing and training our employees and contractors on ways to prevent pollution, minimise waste, utilise recycling procedures and undertake emergency response.
- Ensuring environmental management responsibilities and accountabilities are communicated and upheld.
- Establishing and reviewing environmental objectives and targets.
- Conducting regular senior management reviews of environmental performance and by initiating corrective actions as necessary.
- Ensuring environmental issues form a part of regular auditing and inspection programs within Blackwoods.
- Striving to continually improve environmental management systems and as a result overall environmental performance.
The Blackwoods Catalogue
Blackwoods is committed to the management of all its business operations in an environmentally responsible manner.
We chose to print our catalogue on a synthetic paper. The catalogues are packed into recyclable containers for shipping and are wrapped in biodegradable shrink wrap. This catalogue was printed in one of the world's most advanced and environmentally focused printing facilities.